The Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership (HotSW LEP) is one of the 38 LEPs in England, covering Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay. It’s a business-led partnership between the private sector, local authorities, universities and colleges.
Its vision is to create a dynamic, highly prosperous region with high living standards and an outstanding quality of life; and its mission is to raise productivity and ensure prosperity for all through driving clean and inclusive growth.
Following retirements, the LEP is now seeking four new board directors from the private or social enterprise sector to lead and shape the strategies that will deliver this mission. The new board members will work to strengthen the LEP’s role as the main thought-leader influencing economic development in the HotSW area and deliver the area’s Local Industrial Strategy.
The board also oversees the LEP’s delivery programme of infrastructure, business support and skills projects worth over three-quarters of a billion pounds being delivered by 2021, therefore candidates with a strong business background at a senior level are required to make a positive contribution to the board.
In particular, the Board is seeking senior private sector members who can add to the LEP through one or more of the following
- Understanding the transformational opportunities for the area especially around clean growth, digital utilisation and digital connectivity
- Articulating the needs of the area’s SMEs and business owners, and especially research-intensive businesses
- Ensuring inclusive growth is central to everything the LEP and wider partnership do
- Driving productivity growth in the bedrock sectors such as construction, farming, food, fishing, tourism and hospitality
- Support succession planning through members who have expertise which could be drawn on by the Board’s key sub-committees
- the Strategic Investment Panel overseeing project investment
- Finance & Resources committee overseeing operational expenditure
- the four Leadership Groups of Business, Innovation, Place and Skills Advisory Panel
Non-executive directors will be expected to attend Board meetings once every three months and periodic meetings or events related to their areas of expertise to support LEP activity.
Appointments are for 3 years and would normally be extended for up to a further 3-year term – the LEP operates a rolling retirement policy for Board members to ensure the right balance of experience and diversity. Board member roles are unremunerated; however, reasonable travel expenses in undertaking the role will be reimbursed.
The LEP is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants reflecting the diversity of the community. Recruitment is through an open and transparent process administered by a nominations committee.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on 14 October.
To apply for the Board member role, please download the Non-Executive Board Director Recruitment Pack which includes a link to the online application and an Equal Opportunities Recruitment Monitoring form.