What is the Kickstart scheme?
- A 6-month work placement for 16-24-year olds.
- The placement is for those currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
- The placements should be for new jobs, not replacing current or planned jobs.
- Wages are paid for these placements by the government, for up to 25 hours a week at national minimum wage (wages are paid in months 2,4 and 6).
- There is also £1500 per job placement, available for setup costs, support and training (paid when the placement starts).
- Once a placement has been completed successfully another applicant can take their place.
What businesses need to offer
- A job specification for the role, or roles they can offer.
- An interview process, to include reviewing applications and interviews.
- During the placement, the young person should receive support in developing their skills and experience to ensure they are work-ready upon completion of their placement.
- All young people should receive careers advice, goal setting, CV writing and interview skills, along with developing the skills required within the role they are performing, to ensure the above happens.
Businesses looking to recruit under 30 employees can do so through our Gateway Organisations below.More information for if you are applying for more than 30 Kickstart employees Kickstart - more information for employers
Within the Heart of the South West we have both National and Regional gateways that business can apply to, to offer a Kickstart placement.
- You can apply on behalf of a group of employers, with the minimum number of placements required for this being 30.
- Gateways will receive £300 of funding for each job placement, to support with the associated administrative costs of bringing together these employers.
- If you are unable to offer this many placements, you can find a Gateway organisation who will apply on behalf of a group of employers.
Below we have the most up to date list of gateways as of the 06/10/2020.
You can also see a list of Government’s approved Gateway organisations.Become a Kickstart Gateway Government list of Gateway Organisations (National)